When we arrived in Chicago we checked into our hotel and then of course did a little shopping. After that we ate at "The Cheesecake Factory", I had never eaten at this place before because they always have such a long wait and it just isn't worth it if you have kids with you or have a babysitter that you don't want to take advantage of. So anyway, they have great food or at least the food that I had was great and the portions are huge, so of course we all ordered way too much food. After we ate we went back to our hotel to get ready for the play. Then we headed over to the play. I won't tell you too much about the play because I don't want to ruin it for everyone, but the idea behind the play is the other side of the story of the Wizard of Oz. That Glinda and the wicked witch knew each other in College. So it is that time period of the story all the way to the end of the wizard of Oz. Just a different way of looking at things. So after the play we decided that we wanted to go have dessert, so we headed back to "The Cheesecake Factory", of course. They don't have lines like here, actually they had no wait at all. Then we headed home for a great night sleep the beds were sooooo soft. (It was the best night sleep I had my whole trip, because I slept on an air mattress the rest of the time).
Carolyn, me and Michelle at "Wicked"
Carolyn, Anthony and Michelle at "Wicked"
The second day of my trip we spent most of the day shopping on the "Magnificent Mile", which was really fun even though I really didn't buy anything it was still a lot of fun sight seeing and window shopping. It was really funny because we had my brother Anthony with us the whole time and he didn't complain at all he was really great about shopping with us. One of the stores that they have on there is a store called "American Girl". It is a store of dolls for little girls all sorts of clothing for these dolls and a little cafe that you can eat at with you dolls and little girls. I wish Lexi was with me to see it I know she would have loved it. It also has a beauty salon for the dolls and a theater. It is crazy how big this store is. Then after shopping we headed to Dixon, Illinois, which is where our family reunion was being held. We arrived in Dixon for a spaghetti dinner with some of the family. The other half of us were there (well other half of the people that went). After dinner my cousins asked if we want to go down to the carnival (they were having a Petunia Festival). So all of us girls headed down to the carnival, where we met up with some of my other cousins and listens to a band, called Catfight. They were really good and we all really enjoyed the music.
The View from the top of our Hotel
This is a picture of a 7 floor Mall this is looking up at the elevators
Anthony standing next to a Lego Statue of Darth Vader
Me with some Lego people (so cool!)
Michelle, Me, my cousin Jeff, Kim and Carolyn listening to Catfight
Michelle helping my sister Vicki loosen up and have funThe rest of the week was doing family things with the family here and there. One day we all got up early and went and played bingo, none of us won, but it still was lots of fun. Another day we got up early again (we actually got up early the whole time and it was even earlier because they are two hours ahead). We went to a family cemetery that my dad's side of the family has called "Glennwood Cemetery"and then headed up to a family farm where we were able to listen to some great stories from my dad's cousin, Jackie, who lives on the farm.
A group picture of us playing Bingo
The entrance to the Cemetery
Some of us at the Cemetery at my grandparents graveside
A group picture of all of my family that went to the family reunion
Overall I had a great time getting acquainted with my dad's side of the family. I wish that my dad's other sister was able to come (my Aunt Sally) and her family, but I understand the health issues. It was great forming relationships with my cousins and their families. I will never forget the great time I had there and I hope to be able to go back soon and bring my family to meet them all.




My cousin Jeff's family (he is part of my Uncle Cliff's family)
Julie, Jason, Jeff, Justin, and Jennifer
My Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Allen and their family
Kevin, Tracy, Michele, Troy, Brett and Maddy
2 comments:
Wow!! What a fun trip! That is so great that you were able to go and experience all of that. I went to Chicago on a business trip and was amazed at how BIG the city was - it's amazing!
I am glad you had fun Patti. I know you deserved a trip on your own after everything I have been doing this summer.
Welcome back to the Blogging world.
:-)
Post a Comment